Saturday, August 4, 2012

Kitna Deti Hai?


One fine day, as i waited for a friend on the CBR, in front of a building someone pokes me from behind.
I turn around to find an old chap on his scooter behind me (probably waiting for his friend..) 
He stared hard at the bike, then looked at me and asked in kannada... "eshtu ayitu?" (how much did it cost?)
Well.. I was happy.. He didnt ask "kitna deti hai?".
I could only string together a few broken numbers in kannada, but happily I told him, "1.7"
But, the look on his face suggested shock (8 on ritcher scale)...
"lacs?" he asked.
i nodded yes.
he shook his head and looked away...
he just couldnt take the fact that someone could spend so much on a motor bike. 

I was trying to piece together words (in my broken kannada) that would explain to him how much of a bargain it was considering the engineering gone into it, competetor analysis and the huge improvement in stability, ride and handling over commuter bikes, when he turns around and asks,
"kitna deti hai?"

i mumble, "er.. 35 in city" getting defensive.. (that was a lie... its around 30 in city and around 35 on open roads)
Again.. he shook his head..


I clearly remember the last time such a conversation took place... it was a few weeks after i bought the CBR. I was about to park her at office parking lot, when a guy standing at the parking lot asked, "kitna deti hai?" i said around 30. At this, he says, "hey my moped is better... it gives 60". On that day, i not only agreed with him completly but also decided not to discuss milage with strangers...


I am ever gratefull to my friend for arriving at the nick of time. I quickly put the lid on, helped her climb on board and sped off from there thinking, " never discuss milage with strangers."

No comments: